Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week 10

I'm happy to report that Connor is sleeping through the night finally. Even better, he's doing it in his own bed - yippeee. Ross and I made a few changes which I think helped. First we moved his crib into our room. We had been trying to make him sleep in the pack and play which apparently he didn't appreciate. I think the crib is much more comfortable and we've had no issues since he started sleeping in it. Secondly, we've put him on a little more of a schedule. It occurred to me that even though Ross and I rarely plan our day-to-day activities that Connor might "need" to have a little more structure in his life for the time being. Now he eats and sleeps in regular intervals. The nice thing is that due to the schedule, we finally have a little more predictability in our day and we're rarely surprised emergency feedings and naps.

Other news - Connor had his 2 month doctor's appointment last week. At 9 weeks old he weighed in at 9lbs 12 ounces, which according to the doctor is a little on the small side (10th percentile to be exact). However, she's not worried about him and feels certain that he'll "catch up". Unfortunately, I'm not so sure. For Connor eating takes a back seat to playing. He takes so long to finish a meal that I've resorted to bottle feeding him breast milk. I just don't have the patience to sit around topless for 6-8 hours a day. Even with the bottle, I have to chase his head around as he looks left, right, up, down...stares out the window, watches the dogs or what ever else tickles his fancy. It's not uncommon for him to finish 2 ounces of food in 45 min. I'm not that bothered by it, but how do you feed a kid who isn't very interested in food???

Developmentally, he surprises me each day. He loves to stand (with our help) and even supports most of his weight with his little legs. Actually, standing is his favorite thing to do right now. He also loves staring out the window, making faces and just being outside. Even with the hot Texas summer's he seems happier outside than indoors (as if there were any doubt that he was my kid - I hate being inside). He still doesn't enjoy "tummy time" but we're forcing him to do it as much as possible.

In other news, Morgan and Tanner tried to befriend a skunk this weekend at my parent's house. The skunk responded the only way he knew how, which wasn't what they were expecting. After four attempts to "de-skunk" them I finally took them to Petsmart for some professional help. I can tell you that nothing...and I mean nothing will remove skunk smell from dogs. We tried tomato juice, V8, pureed tomatoes, and a $100 de-skunk treatment from Petsmart. After all of that I have two dogs who look great but still stink to high heaven. Each day the smell fades a little more, so in another week or two they should be back to normal.



No comments: