Thursday, January 22, 2009

Don't eat the yellow snow

Considering that the last 9 months have been such a struggle for Ross and I, we decided to take a little vacation. There’s no better way to recharge your battery, than to escape from reality for a few days. So with our friends Brian and Teresa, we headed to Copper Mountain, Colorado for a week of skiing/snowboarding. Ross’s mom came to stay with Connor while we were away – I’ll tell you more about that later.

Colorado was amazing – as usual! The snow was fantastic and everyone had a little too much fun eating/drinking and skiing. Ross was our lone snowboarder out of our group. He’s decided not to fool with skiing and would rather “shred” the mountain with the rest of the kids. :)

I was so happy that my friend Jen, drove up from Denver on Monday to ski with us. It was so nice seeing her and it made me miss all the times we used to hang out together in Dallas. Strangely, Ross and I are one of the few from our Dallas crowd that still haven’t moved to Denver. We’re working on a relocation strategy, but it might take a few years.

On Thursday, I decided to trade in my skis for a snowboard. I wasn’t about to let Ross win the title of “cool parent” when Connor is finally old enough to “shred” the mountain too. So I strapped the board to my feet, pointed it down the mountain and kissed my *ss goodbye. What’s the worst that can happen - right?

Ross was giving me a few pointers, but then he somehow “lost” me on the first run of the day. And then I somehow took a wrong turn and ended up on a blue run (harder than green, not quite a black) that passed right in front of the super pipe (think Shawn White – half-pipe only bigger). I had visions of ski patrol rushing to the rescue of a 31 year old Caucasian woman in a green ski jacket – yikes! I’m not sure how I did it, but I finally made it back to the base safely. Then like an idiot, I climbed on the lift and went back up the mountain – determined to win the cool mom award.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Oh this looks like fun! I am trying to orchestrate a trip like this myself. You must tell me all about it b/c I have only been to Breckinridge & Keystone.