Friday, May 1, 2009

My little hero

Connor is the most amazing child I’ve ever met. Ok - maybe I’m a little biased because I’m his mommy, but still – this kid is truly special. I haven’t publicized it much, but Connor had surgery yesterday. Before I get bombarded with questions, it was a fairly minor surgery and we’ve known about it for months. It was not critical or life-threatening and it was an out-patient procedure, so he was home the same day.

On the flip-side surgery is surgery and there is no way to downplay the fact that I’m allowing some doctor to cut into my precious son. Surgeries involve anesthesia, scalpels and a permanent scar (his first one ever – tear).

The reason I chose to write about it now is because Connor completely amazed me yesterday and I wanted to savor this memory for years to come. It’s also for the same reasons that I write this blog: 1. most of our family and friends do not live in San Antonio or even the great state of Texas (shocker) so the blog is a great way to keep them involved in our life AND 2. this is first and foremost Connor’s blog. When he is older I’ll share these stories with him so that he’ll have an account of his childhood.

Back to my story…We had to be at the hospital at 5:30am. So not only was Connor ripped from his cozy bed in the wee hours of the morning, but he also couldn't eat anything (not even milk) after mid-night. And that’s the amazing part – my son – tired and hungry in a new place with people poking and prodding him at that moment decided to put on a show for the doctor’s and nurses in the pre-op. He was standing on the bed screeching at like a pterodactyl (think flying dinosaur), laughing and making raspberries with his tongue (this is his favorite activity right now). Connor makes a raspberry after every word. It sounds something like this…dada-phthththth (spit flying everywhere). Everyone was cracking up at this crazy kid who was having the time of his life.

Now to be fair, Connor had no idea what was in store for him but regardless he was tired and hungry which is enough to piss off most babies and adults for that matter. But not Connor – we didn’t hear a single complaint out of him. When the nurse carried him away from us he didn’t even cry – he was just happy to flirt with a new face.

In my opinion he’s one brave little guy. The surgery lasted less than an hour and we were back by his side before he woke up. They let him recover for a few hours in the hospital and then sent us home. When Connor got back to the house, you would have never known anything happened to him. He immediately started crawling all over the dogs (pulling their hair and ears) and jumping around in his exersaucer.

I have a lot of lessons to learn from my son. I’m not nearly as laid back and accommodating as he is. I’m simply amazed by the fact that he can just go with the flow and that not much upsets him. I only wish I could be like that too. Connor you’re my little hero and I’m so proud of you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story! First of all, I am so happy to hear that his procedure went well! Secondly, you are an amazing mother! Becoming a parent is absolutely life-changing and no matter how many people tell you that, you don't get to see it until you experience it yourself. I'd love to chat and catch up sometime this week! Love you bunches!

Maggie said...

Kids really are amazing!!! And I agree...your an amazing Mom!!

Unknown said...

Geez i feel like chopped liver!

tierd said...

Awww, very sweet! So glad he did well. It's so hard to see your child go through surgery so I'm glad you both survived!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Ross, when Mom takes over posting it kinda becomes "her" blog but you are not chopped liver! You just become "forgotten" liver haha! You are an amazing father as well! You & Leia are great parents and Connor could not have better parents than the two of you!