Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The truth about the OB/GYN

I had to write this blog in response to Ross’ analysis of the OB/GYN. It's true that in all of the stacks of magazines, there is nothing for him to read – he literally found a two-year old Sports Illustrated and was as excited as a kid on Christmas day. That excitement soon faded when he realized that it was outdated and missing more than ½ its pages. Also, it's true that he felt threatened by my super hot doctor. I can imagine that might be awkward for most men – no matter how secure they are in their marriage. Finally, it's true that he's taken countless hours off work to attend EVERY single doctor’s appointment. What a trooper!!

However, the part that he’s not telling you is that he’s been my glimmer of sanity throughout this entire process. Anyone who knows me understands that I am the most impatient person in the world…hands down. If the doctor is 20 min. late, then I’m already packing up my stuff and am ready to walk out of the office. My time is just as important as his time…right? Ok, I know this type of thinking is a little bit irrational, but I can’t help it.

Not only is Ross my companion during these appointments, but he’s also been my entertainment. He makes me laugh when I’m stressed about getting on the scale – taking off my shoes, socks, sunglasses…anything that will add another ounce to that damn scale.

He keeps me pre-occupied with stories, jokes and games when the doctor is delayed. They kept us waiting so long at our last appointment that we literally played charades in the examining room.

Ross has even been called on to hold my hand when they were taking blood for one of the many pre-natal tests they do to ensure the baby is developing properly. I’m terrified of needles and he was taking great pleasure in making fun of me. It wasn’t until I looked at him with all seriousness and said “hold my hand dammit” that he knew I wasn’t kidding.

While all of these things are nice, the most important thing Ross does for me by going to these appointments is…be there. Be there…for me, be there…for his un-born baby, be there…for all the new experiences that we’ll never be able to repeat. Oh sure, there will likely be another child eventually, but you can never recreate the feelings of joy and excitement that come with a brand new experience like this.

No comments: