Tuesday, February 26, 2008

One day - stupid people will rule the world.

What is it about pregnancy that makes you stupid? I have the same level of education now as I did before I got pregnant. If anything, I might be slightly more educated, especially considering the 9 months of medical training that my husband (the self-proclaimed OBGYN) has put me through. No joke, he literally quizzes me on the signs of labor. I guess he doesn’t want me to miss a baby coming out of my “whoha”. Regardless, this baby is sucking away all of my healthy brain cells and leaving my head filled with just the stupid ones.

Before I can give you some specific examples of my ever-growing stupidity, you have to understand the pre-pregnant Leia. Picture a person with an extreme type A personality, who maps out every waking minute and thinks it’s torture to sit still for two hours to watch a movie. Not only do I buzz through my day, efficiently mapping out everything from errands to grocery shopping but I also manage to minimize any “down time” with a quick work-out or a special project around the house.

Skip ahead 9 months, despite my ever-growing waste line, and the occasional foot in the rib, I feel like the same ole’ me. So why is it that carrying this extra passenger has caused me to do things like - get lost driving to work…I’ve driven to the same work location every day for a year now, yet on Monday I found myself driving past my office and taking an interchange exit that sent me in the complete opposite direction from where I needed to go.

Or – stealing someone else’s shopping cart at the grocery store…I reached into the meat cooler, grabbed a package of chicken, put it in “my” cart and then walked off. It wasn’t until I noticed a man chasing me down the isle (literally) that I realized I had stolen his cart full of groceries.

Or (my favorite) – yelling at Tanner for eating dog food out of his own bowl…One morning not long ago I was feeding the dogs. I put food in Tanner’s bowl then turned around abruptly when I heard him eating it and scolded him. For some strange reason in the few seconds after I fed him, my brain made me think he was stealing food out of Morgan’s bowl instead. He looked up at me with panic in his eyes and slowly began to spit the food out of his mouth piece by piece.

I’ve forgotten my cell phone at home and then been angry at Ross for not calling. At times, I forget where I am and where I need to be. I’ve walked up to the wrong car in the parking lot and wondered why my key didn’t work. All of this and the baby hasn’t even arrived yet. My friends tell me that it only get’s worse but how could it and better yet, why? I have no explanation for being stupid but for everyone reading this blog, if I was supposed to call you or we had lunch plans and I didn’t show – Please check up on me. Lord knows I need all the help I can get these days.

No comments: