Friday, October 1, 2010

Banga - what?!? Banga - who?!?

I'm typing this from Bangalore, India - which is a place that I never thought I'd find myself. One of my co-workers described it best when he said "You'll have the time of your life, as long as you don't leave the hotel"...I thought he was being a smart a** at the time but NOPE he was being honest.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for world travel. I even majored in International Business at Baylor and I'm no stranger to visiting unusual places. In the past, I've found myself in Kuwait, Dubai and even Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. So I could handle one week in India - right?!?!

I knew I was in trouble when I went for my vaccinations. I thought I'd run in and out - a few shots and I'm done. I expected it to be a :30 min appointment...2 hours later I walked out with 9 different shots - all containing multiple vaccinations. I also received a booklet at least one inch thick telling me about all of the diseases that I could die from in India. One is called "Dengue Fever" - it's contracted from a mosquito bite and will make me feel like every bone in my body is breaking. FANTASTIC - sounds like fun!!!

The second clue was a little more complicated and began thousands of years ago. India's High Court was scheduled to announce a ruling on a decades old case involving a piece of disputed holy land (Hindu's vs. Muslim's). The whole country was bracing for mass rioting with security forces reaching 10,000 in the capital city of Delhi. This verdict was supposed to come out on the 21st and was postponed until the 28th and postponed again until the 30th - which is the day after I arrived in India. So I basically spent the entire day in lockdown at the hotel - on pins and needles. In the end the disputed land was divided and no-one rioted. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I DO NOT GET PAID ENOUGH FOR THIS!!!

In the end, I'm here...I'm safe...and I'm counting the days until I can come home.

Bangalore, India. My drive to work.



Bangalore, India.



I guess this cow had to get to work.
I wonder which office he was headed to.

Trucks in Bangalore, India.

These guys were re-creating the
Virgin Media logo in colored rice.

Virgin Media logo written in colored rice.
FYI: Virgin Media is one of Accenture's biggest
call center clients. We have almost 900 agents
dedicated to this account - and they are the
primary reason that I'm in India now.


No comments: