Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"The Goat" and "One Shoe"

I took Connor and Kate to the doctor today for their flu shot. When I picked the kids up from school, I found Connor at the table eating his snack. They're learning to drink from open cups in his classroom. Connor, of course - dumped the entire contents of his cup on the table leaving a very large water puddle to play in. He had also taken his shoes off on the way to snack time - leaving one in the doorway and the other MIA (missing in action). I also gathered that whatever they ate for a snack contained a fair amount of chocolate because he was wearing at least 1/2 of it on his shirt. I love my boy - but my God, it is impossible to keep him clean.

I put the one shoe back on his foot while Ms. Victoria searched for the other. After a few minutes she came back - no luck, we'll have to get it tomorrow. So I turned to Connor and said "Come on 'one-shoe' (his Cherokee name) we've got to run or we'll be late for the doctor", and I started to walk down the hallway - Connor chasing after me with a slight gimp caused by wearing only one shoe.

When we got to Kate's room, I could tell that she had a messy day too. She was in her "emergency" change of clothes with no pants, shoes or socks. At this point I didn't even stop for an explanation. After all, it didn’t matter – we were going to look like hobos at the doctor’s office and there was nothing that I could do about it. I scooped her up and headed for the car - Connor hobbling behind me the whole way.

On the way out of daycare, I stopped long enough to give both kids a sticker from Ms. Brenda's desk. I placed one on Connor's hand and the other on Kate's hand.

By the time I reached Dr. Bourland's office, I noticed that Kate's sticker was gone. Not thinking any different, I just assumed that she had peeled it off and dropped it in the car. It wasn't until we were in the examining room and she began coughing and her face started turning bright red that I realized that she had eaten the sticker!!!

I ran out into the hallway (‘one shoe’ awkwardly running after me) and found a nurse. I quickly told her that Kate was choking on a sticker and I needed help. By the time she put gloves on and pried Kate's mouth open the sticker was gone.

Back in the examining room another 15-20 minutes later I start to notice that Kate's tongue is rolling around in her mouth - like she's chasing something from cheek to cheek. By this point the doctor is in the room and I'm telling her how Kate had almost choked on this stupid sticker. Then (almost on queue), as I say "and then she swallowed it", Kate sticks out her tongue and on the very tip is that damn sticker. I grabbed it quickly and threw it in the trash.

My little goat strikes again....

No comments: