Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Illusion of Paradise

India is an interesting place to say the least. It contains some indisputable crown jewels like the Taj Mahal, magnificent temples/mosques and scenic seasides. However, I have yet to see the charm. Think I'm being too harsh??? 

Here's what Lonely Planet.com  has to say, "Rebranded Bengaluru in November 2006, the city more commonly known as Bangalore is not an obvious charmer. The crazy traffic, associated pollution and creaking infrastructure of this IT boom town will fast drive you demented. However, even though locals rarely sing Bengaluru’s praises as a tourist destination, it’s not a dead loss. There are a handful of interesting sights."

(BTW - the Taj Mahal is a 4 hour drive from Bangalore. I know what you're thinking...I just survived a 21 hour flight to get here, what's another 4 hours in the car...right? Well I have no plans to go - I'm sure I'll regret the decision one day, but my only focus now is getting home safely to Ross and the kids.)

In an effort to be more positive, I've found a silver lining - it's the ITC Royal Gardenia Hotel.  My friend Shawn was right when he said, that I would have the time of my life as long as I didn't leave the walls of this hotel. Here are some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

Lobby of the ITC Royal Gardenia Hotel.

 
The Pool
 
The Pool

Ok - now after taking a picture
of the pool, I turned around 180 degrees,
walked 5 steps and looked over the
retaining wall and this was the view.

A few over the retaining
wall from the opposite direction.


No comments: